Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Thoughts on Racism

Everyone's a Little Bit Racist
I have been reading old articles and random blogs about the "Aida controversy" from our senior year, and my blood is boiling. I get so tired of people thinking "I can't be racist, I'm black" or "Its not racist if its true" or "I am entitled to this". ARGH! Why is the world full of jerks?
I read a blog written by an ACU alum who made an excellent point, specifically aimed at a person I will not name:
"A final thought on the talented Ms. -----: history doesn't typically identify heroes in any movement as those who demand double standards and preferential treatment but rather ones who endure hardship to gain equality. Rosa Parks didn't ask to ride the bus for free."
AMEN!
I have always said:
-If you expect to be treated different or better because of your skin color, YOU are a racist.
-If you expect to be treated different or better because of your gender, YOU are a sexist.

Alright, I'm off of my soapbox... for now...

No comments: