Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Good Omens

While I'm on my book reading kick, I would like to take a moment to recommend one of my favorites to read over and over again: Good Omens, by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.

I stumbled across a Pajiban review of it this morning, and now I desperately wish I had it with me (I have to go sit and train on a new program at our othe rlocation later - boring). I have to put it at the bottom of a long list, because I am determined to read only new works right now; well, new to me.

This book follows a demon (Crowley) and an angel (Aziraphale) through Eden to Apocolypse-to-be. Along the way we are introduced to countless characters, all of which play into the story poetically. From Satanic nuns to the Four Horsemen, these characters weave the story together.


To give you an idea of the brilliant writing, here is an amazing quote referencing God's plan for us all:

"God does not play dice with the universe: He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players [i.e. everybody], to being involved in an obscure and complex variant of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time."


An immeasurably humorous book which pokes fun at just about everything blasphemous, this book will have you cracking up in no time.

No comments: