Tuesday, March 1, 2011

New Low: And yet I'm surprised...

Several months ago my husband came home from work and asked, "Have you heard the new Katy Perry song? Something about dreams?"

ME: No, don't think so.
HUBS: Let me show this to you.

So we find a YouTube video that shows the lyrics. And we listen, and Brad just watches me as my jaw hits the table.

ME: The hell?!? These lyrics are horrible!
HUBS: Yeah, that's what I siad.
ME: Is she seriously condoning teenagers getting drunk and having sex in hotels? What the hell?

It made me really angry. Any time it came on the radio I immediately changed the station. And I want to hate Darren Criss for making me like it during the Glee cover. How can we slide not-so-gradually into a media that ENCOURAGES illegal and unsafe behavior in children?

It makes me feel old. Which I hate, not because I'm 27 and shouldn't feel old, but because that means accepting this trash is a young mentality. ::shudder::

And then, this morning, I turn on my radio and hear Rhianna's new song, "S&M". Yeah, THAT S&M. As in sadomaschism. Let's take a look at some of the "lyrics" (I'm truly sorry):

Feels so good being bad
There’s no way I’m turnin’ back
Now the pain is my pleasure
Cause nothin’ can measure

Love is great, love is fine
Out the box, outta line
The affection nothin’ feelin
Leave me wanting more

Cause I may be bad, but
I’m perfectly good at it
Sex in the air
I don’t care I love the smell of it
Sticks and stones may break my bones
But chains and whips excite me

S, S, S&M, M, M
S, S, S&M, M, M


Ohh
I love the feelin’ oh you bring to me
Turn me on, you turn me on
Is exactly what I’ve been yearning for
You need forgive me turn me it up
And make me be in my …, in my bodies surprise
I like it, like it

Cause I may be bad, but
I’m perfectly good at it
Sex in the air
I don’t care I love the smell of it
Sticks and stones may break my bones
But chains and whips excite me

S-S-S&M-M-M
S-S-S&M-M-M
S-S-S&M-M-M
S-S-S&M-M-M


So... this is on the radio. Neat.

I'm gonna go cry now.

No comments: