Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Responsible Adult (on occassion)


Last night was one of those nights where I take a deep breath, look in the mirror and say, "I can be a responsible adult after all. Whew!"


It is a shame how rarely I feel that way.


After work I went home to change clothes and then - gasp - went to the gym! The shock! And even more shocking was how much I LOVED it! It takes a lot to get me to a gym (I would be the mayor of LazyTown but the election was too much trouble), but once I'm there I kind of freakin' love it. My gym (Fitness19) has those cardio machines with a tiny TV, so I plug in my headphones, find something funny to distract me and set to a brisk walk on a heavy incline. Suddenly I realize I've walked a mile! Without the distraction I just stare at the timer thinking, "It has only been 5 minutes?!? Whaaaa!"


After that I hit the leg press. I don't know why, but it is almost always my favorite machine. The location seemed perfect, too (right under a fan), but if I were a man (or a lesbian) it would have been even better, because I was right behind the girls in short-shorts on the stair-climbers. Oy... I just cranked up my music and stared at the ceiling.


I closed with some free weights; triceps and obliques. Since I'm just starting out I'm staying in my comfort zone. Hopefully before long I can push myself to different exercises.


On the way home I stopped at the store for pasta and chicken. I made the simplest, YUMMIEST salad! It was kind of a "fridge cleaner", because I chopped up any and all veggies in the fridge. I used the tail end of a shallot, the remaining halves of a zucchini and squash plus some asparagus. I gave them a quick saute and tossed them with farfalle and some rotisserie chicken. Add lemon juice and olive oil (plus salt and pepper) and it was right tasty! If Brad doesn't finish it for lunch, I will probably do it for dinner again tonight. I might add roma tomatoes, but I'm not sure. Oh, and I put in a little goat cheese, but I like it better without. (I was inspired by this PW recipe.)


After dinner I organized out tax paperwork so we can go be grownups tomorrow. And then I watched the first half of Micmacs while soaking in the tub. Overall it was a truly lovely night.


Tonight I'm going back to the gym and having another delicious, low(ish) calorie meal and then painting my nails. I know, I know, it is a fast-paced and glamorous life I lead. Try not to be jealous.

No comments: