Tuesday, February 22, 2011

New Zealand

An earthquake hit Christchurch, New Zealand last night (lunchtime their time). It was the worst natural disaster seen in the region is 80 years. At last count, 65 were counted dead and several are still missing.

And do you know my first thought when I heard a quake had hit New Zealand? "I hope it wasn't in the wine region." That was the first thing that popped into my head, and I am not proud of it.

I generally remain blissfully ignorant of the world, big-picture. I won't deny that. And again, I'm not proud of that. I am such an empathetic person that, if I keep up with the news, I feel consistently depressed. But how is that an excuse?

The BBC has an article on their site detailing the damage, and they paint a horrific picture. Among the missing is a group of visiting Japanese students. Among the dead are two buses full that were crushed by buildings. People describe bodies just lying around under a layer of brick and screams issuing from the rubble.

I urge you to pray for this community. They are without power and water. They are scared and can't find their friends and family. Please pray for them. Right now. Stop what you are doing and take a knee. There is no time like the present to do what you can.

No comments: