Tuesday, October 21, 2008

My Sweet Father

Last night I was watching Heroes in our bedroom. They were showing a newer character that was introduced last week, one whose power seems to be controlling the movement of others. Well, when they showed him this week his 'location caption' said "Doyle Marionette Theater".
...........you guys know I don't like puppets, right? Especially marionettes. They are Satan's playthings. [shudder]

About thirty seconds later my phone rings, and it is my dad. I answered, and his voice sounded hesitant and a little scared, which of course freaked me out. When I asked what he needed, his response was "Are you watching Heroes?" I told him I was, with a small grin starting on my face. "Well, you do realize there will be puppets moving around on their own, right?" I said, "Yes I had thought of that." Then, my dear, sweet father said, "If you don't want to watch it, that is OK. I can tell you what happens later."

Now, SOME people could have made this same phone call, but in jest. They would have been teasing me, having a laugh, and that would have been OK, seeing as how I wasn't really scared (yet). But my precious daddy was actually concerned! He was being so genuine. It seems silly, and even at the time I thought it was unnecessary, but his intention was so sweet that it almost brought a tear to my eye.

I watched, and the puppets stayed where they were. So no harm done. I just thought I would share this sweet story about my darlin' dad.

No comments: