Thursday, August 30, 2007

Memories

a.k.a. Pterodactyls
I had a random memory this morning on the way to work, but it gave me a big, BIG smile. So here it is:
My freshman year of high school I got involved in the Thespian Convention that happened for high schools every year. We went to the State Convention; it was in Abilene of all places (bear in mind this was Alex's senior year, so he must have looked around and thought, "Hm, yes. This lovely, thriving metropolis is PERFECT for my higher education!" Of course, I went there, too, so...)
We didn't usually take shows for the mainstage, but we alwasy participated in individual events. I was in the Group Musical category, and we performed "The Night that Goldman Spoke at Union Square" from 'Ragtime', and if I may say so, we were incredible! We even had a few 'immigrants'; for the confusion and the 'panicked crowd' aspect, we actually had two of our girls speaking in foreign languages (Spanish and Polish). Anyway, it rocked so hard we got to go to the International Competition in Lincoln, Nebraska!
That year, I had befriended a senior, Libby, and since we were both in that event we decided to room together at Univ. of Neb. Now, long story short, we had an inside joke that we were pterodactyls..... very long, stupid story short..... and as the girls all decided to have a room decorating contest, our room was Dinosaur themed. We went to the dollar store and got some of the COOLEST stuff (or so it seemed at the time). My favorite was a tub of food labeled "Dino Snacks". We had the best food and stuff in our room. Plus, we found a cheap shower curtain with a sort of 'prehistoric playground' on it that we used as a rug. There were little dino figurines all around. OH, it was just awesome.
It makes me wish there was somewhere to do that sort of thing. In college, the closest I came to that kind of situation was probably going to ACTF in Hunstville, and that wasn't the same. Actually, the mentality is closer to the dorm situation in Kilgore, but that was for a while summer instead of a week.
Anyway, I miss that kind of thing. Like camp. Camp rocks.
Anyway, now I'm rambling, but I really want to do a rockin' dollar store run and see what cool stuff I can find...

No comments: