Thursday, September 2, 2010

Fresh Start

I took a deep, fresh breath when I woke up this morning. I felt relieved. I felt a modicum of peace. And I thought to myself,

"We're gonna make it."

I attended the introductory class for Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University last night. I didn't learn anything yet, but just being there, just watching the intro video and hearing peoples' testimonies, I felt relief. Brad and I officially start the class next Wednesday, and I am so excited.

I know changing our lifestyles and habits will be difficult, and that at times it will be an emotional strain on us both. Here is the difference: we will be arguing about money, but working towards an agreed-upon solution. We will be slowly fixing the problem. We will be climbing this uphill struggle, but climbing together and leaning more on God.

My parents took this class last year, and I used the opportunity to look through their books. I even spent some time doing the workforms. One downside to that is that now I am impatient to get to that part, and we need to start at the beginning.

We need to look at our emotional connection to money, to food, to STUFF. Thrifty Decor Chick wrote an excellent blog this morning about her attachment to "stuff", and I found it inspiring. We all have those items in life that we buy because "it is only $2.99" or "I will probably use this someday". Those things add up, and a lack of storage space is only one of the negative side effects.

Our generation has this mindset of entitlement. It varies from person to person, but I think we all have it.
*I spent four (or more) years earning a college degree, so I should be making more money.*
*I've worked hard for this paycheck, I should be able to go out and have fun.*
*I've been responsible all week, I can splurge on this new lamp (fill in the blank).*

I want to live a life with less "should" statements. I want to focus on what I actually have. And most importantly, I want a life that isn't so incredibly focused on money.

Ramsey pointed out that the Bible contains more verses about money than it does about love. That's huge, people, because God says love is the most important thing, the most important rule. The point Ramsey made was that God knows where our earthly focus wants to be, so we should strive for financial peace *in order to focus on more important thing, like love, faith and family*.

I am excited to take this step towards God and towards a more spiritually focused life. Please pray for me and Brad as we embark on this challenge.

No comments: